Dec 06, 2021
Josh Gaetjen, M.F.A., Program Director
- In addition to applying for general admission to the College, applicants must apply separately to and be formally accepted by the Design and Animation Program.
- Admission procedures are available on the department website: artdesign.mercy.edu. Applicants are encouraged to contact the program director with any questions.
- Students must maintain an overall GPA of 2.5 in all attempted and completed major courses. If the GPA in the major is less than 2.5, the student will be subject to a formal assessment of his/her aptitude for the subject matter and standing in the program and may be dismissed from the major.
- Students may be required to repeat or take additional courses to achieve the required GPA.
- Several courses have a minimum grades requirement of B-. Students must repeat classes if their grades fall below the mandated requirement.
- There is a 21-credit residency requirement for the concentration in Design + Animation.
- Students should enroll in CART 110 , CART 120 , & CART 200 , in their first fall semester.
Minimal Technical Standards
The following technical standards, required to satisfactorily complete projects in program classes, deemed essential for performance as a competent designer, are required for admission, continuation and graduation from the Mercy College Design + Animation Program:
- Capable of lifting and/or carrying up to 30 pounds from floor to waist level. (positioning/moving drawing horses, painting palettes, easels and drawing boards)
- Ability to tolerate walking and standing for sustained periods of time. (working at an easel in drawing or painting courses, acting out character animation proposals, standing while trimming paper as frequently required in all design classes)
- Capable of using large and fine motor skills to develop and execute design projects. (creating and trimming poster mock ups)
- Capable of using hands and arms to handle, install, position and move materials.
Bachelor of Fine Arts
|General Education Requirements
|Design + Animation
Students who choose the major concentration in Design + Animation must complete:
General Education Courses
Plus, choose three credits from each of the areas below:
- Literature and Communication: Literature, Speech, Communication.
- Language and Cultural Perspectives: World Languages.
- Ethical Perspectives: Philosophy, Religion.
- Historical and Global Perspectives: History, Political Science, Geography.
- Scientific Perspectives: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Astronomy.
- Social Perspectives: Sociology, Psychology, Economics.
Select 13 courses from the following:
Open electives may be fulfilled with approved transfer credits from another institution or courses from any other Mercy College program. It is highly recommended that majors take courses in the cognate programs of Media Studies, Music Production and Recording Arts, and Computer Information Systems.